- AAP receives boost for Chandni Chowk constituency with local Congress and BSP leaders joining the party.Posted 6 days ago
- Former secretary to Kejriwal transferred to Urban Development deptPosted 2 weeks ago
- Breaking: Kiran Bedi joining BJP, may contest against Arvind KejriwalPosted 2 weeks ago
- Rajmohan Gandhi, grandson of Mahatma Gandhi joins Aam Aadmi PartyPosted 3 weeks ago
- Aam Aadmi Party organises ‘jhadoo’ rally at NahanPosted 3 weeks ago
- Delhi government to continue MLA local area development schemePosted 3 weeks ago
- Arvind Kejriwal’s Aam Aadmi Party moves Supreme Court against President Rule in DelhiPosted 3 weeks ago
- Breaking: Bangalore’s Tech Community will Supports Aam Aadmi PartyPosted 3 weeks ago
- Surprise support for Arvind Kejriwal, from Nitish KumarPosted 3 weeks ago
- All AAP govt schemes will continue, Lieutenant governor Najeeb JungPosted 3 weeks ago
Kargil martyr’s mother may be AAP’s Hamirpur candidate in Himachal
SHIMLA: Having fielded sitting BJP MP Rajan Sushant from Kangra parliamentary seat, now Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) is likely to field mother of Kargil martyr Captain Vikram Batra, who was awarded Param Vir Chakra posthumously, from the Hamirpur seat of Himachal Pradesh having the largest concentration of serving and former soldiers. AAP leadership in the state has suggested the name of Kamal Kanta Batra to the central leadership and announcement is likely next week.
This time one-rank one-pension (OROP) and other issues concerning soldiers are going to dominate the election arena in Himachal and already Congress and BJP are out to woo serving and ex-servicemen. Under such circumstances, fielding of Kargil martyr’s mother from Hamirpur seat where almost every household has serving or former soldier would give AAP an advantage, sources said.
Confirming the development, AAP’s state convener Deshraj Sharma said that after getting nod from Kamal Kanta Batra to contest the coming parliamentary election, the state unit has forwarded her name to the central leadership. “Considering the fact that Kangra and Hamirpur have majority families with Army background, her candidature would consolidate party’s position,” he said. Sharma said that AAP leadership in Delhi would announce the ticket next week.
According to sources, around a month back AAP leaders from the state had also approached the parents of another Kargil martyr Saurabh Kalia with a request to contest the coming elections. AAP leaders had argued that as they were already battling to provide justice to their martyr son they should contest the election to take up the cause inside the Parliament. “But they expressed reluctance to contest the election,” sources added.
Sources said that initially Kamal Kanta Batra was to be fielded from Kangra seat as she belongs to Palampur town of the district but allotment of ticket to Rajan Sushant forced the state leaders to change her candidature from Kangra to Hamirpur. Sources said ancestral home of Kamal Kanta Batra is in Sujanpur town of Hamirpur district and later she got married to G L Batra of Palampur.
Entry of Kamal Kanta Batra in the fray from Hamirpur seat would make the contest interesting as BJP has once again fielded its sitting MP Anurag Thakur from here while Congress is struggling to finalize its candidate.