- AAP receives boost for Chandni Chowk constituency with local Congress and BSP leaders joining the party.Posted 4 weeks ago
- Former secretary to Kejriwal transferred to Urban Development deptPosted 1 month ago
- Breaking: Kiran Bedi joining BJP, may contest against Arvind KejriwalPosted 1 month ago
- Rajmohan Gandhi, grandson of Mahatma Gandhi joins Aam Aadmi PartyPosted 1 month ago
- Aam Aadmi Party organises ‘jhadoo’ rally at NahanPosted 1 month ago
- Delhi government to continue MLA local area development schemePosted 1 month ago
- Arvind Kejriwal’s Aam Aadmi Party moves Supreme Court against President Rule in DelhiPosted 1 month ago
- Breaking: Bangalore’s Tech Community will Supports Aam Aadmi PartyPosted 1 month ago
- Surprise support for Arvind Kejriwal, from Nitish KumarPosted 1 month ago
- All AAP govt schemes will continue, Lieutenant governor Najeeb JungPosted 1 month ago
After Sabir Ali, another controversy for BJP in Bihar
Hours after exiting from a crisis over induction of controversial Bihar leader Sabir Ali into its fold, the BJP has entered into another problem.
The party is facing the heat for giving a Lok Sabha ticket to Satish Chandra Dubey from Valmikinagar in the north eastern part of the state near the border of Nepal. Mr Dubey, according to the affidavit filed by him before the Election Commission, is facing a dozen criminal cases including that of attempt to murder, kidnapping, extortion and a few under the Arms Act.
A confidential report of the Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) has now surfaced that say Mr Dubey is part of a syndicate that controls the entire smuggling of ‘ganja’ and ‘charas’ in the eastern part of the district. The SSB is a paramilitary force that patrols the Indo-Nepal border and is responsible for preventing trans-border crimes like smuggling.
“I’m not aware of any such letter and no one, including the SSB, has approached me to know my version and till now no one from the police has got in touch with me. This letter could be a figment of imagination of some officer,” Mr Dubey told NDTV. He is the sitting MLA from Narkatiaganj in West Champaran district.
BJP leader and Rajya Sabha MP from Bihar Dharmendra Pradhan has defended Mr Dubey saying all the cases have already been mentioned by him in his affidavit and despite these charges Mr Dubey was elected twice on a BJP ticket. But others like Dilip Verma, an independent legislator who was also in the race for party ticket from Valmikinagar, say it’s wrong for the party to give a ticket to Mr Dubey.
“Vested interest deliberately hid several facts about Satish Dubey’s antecedents,” said Mr Verma.
Last month, the BJP created a furore over similar SSB report which mentioned the name of Shahid Ali Khan, a cabinet minister in the Nitish Kumar government. Senior BJP leader Sushil Modi even demanded the ouster of Mr Khan.
But it will be interesting to see how BJP, which always pats itself on being a party with a difference, overcomes the serious allegation against one of its own nominees.