- My son has shamed me by slapping Kejriwal, says Abdul Wahid’s fatherPosted 3 days ago
- AAP receives boost for Chandni Chowk constituency with local Congress and BSP leaders joining the party.Posted 1 month ago
- Former secretary to Kejriwal transferred to Urban Development deptPosted 1 month ago
- Breaking: Kiran Bedi joining BJP, may contest against Arvind KejriwalPosted 1 month ago
- Rajmohan Gandhi, grandson of Mahatma Gandhi joins Aam Aadmi PartyPosted 2 months ago
- Aam Aadmi Party organises ‘jhadoo’ rally at NahanPosted 2 months ago
- Delhi government to continue MLA local area development schemePosted 2 months ago
- Arvind Kejriwal’s Aam Aadmi Party moves Supreme Court against President Rule in DelhiPosted 2 months ago
- Breaking: Bangalore’s Tech Community will Supports Aam Aadmi PartyPosted 2 months ago
- Surprise support for Arvind Kejriwal, from Nitish KumarPosted 2 months ago
2G scam accused Raja declares Rs 3.16cr wealth
CHENNAI/UDHAGAMANDALAM: A Raja, considered the architect and prime beneficiary of the Rs 1.72 lakh crore 2G spectrum scam, is worth Rs 3.16 crore, (including his dependents’ assets), going by an poll affidavit he filed before the returning officer in Nilgiris, on Wednesday. Raja is the sitting MP in Nilgiris.
The value of his immovable assets have registered a 34% increase, but value of movable assets like jewellery and bank deposits have increased by 219% in the last five years. He has liabilities of Rs 39.65 lakh. All in all, in real terms, his assets have increased by Rs 1.9 crore between 2009 and 2014 when he spent much of his time battling cases.
The affidavit also provides a status report on all cases pending against him. CBI filed an FIR against him in the 2G scam on 21 October 2009. In comparison, the former telecom minister, who is the most prominent dalit face of DMK, had no case pending against him when he contested the 2009 polls, after he shifted his constituency from Perambalur, his hometown, to Nilgiris.
After filing the nomination, he told mediapersons, “I revolutionized the telecom sector in India by making mobile connectivity cheap. I have been wrongly implicated in the case and branded a criminal. I have filed a 102-page reply to the court. I will prove my innocence.”
In the affidavit, he has included the assets in his name and those in his wife’s and daughter’s names and his share of family assets. Total moveable assets are valued at Rs 2.55 crore now, compared to Rs 80 lakh shown in the 2009 affidavit. This includes bank deposits which have increased from Rs 23.81 lakh to Rs 71.92 lakh and investment in bonds which have gone up from 27.69 lakh to Rs 59.15 lakh. During the same period,
Raja also bought a Toyota Corolla car worth Rs 13.81 lakh and gifted a diamond studded necklace worth Rs 12 lakh to his daughter. Gold and silver jewellery, which were valued at Rs 25.26 lakh in 2009 are worth Rs 94.45 lakh in the new affidavit. His share of gold alone is worth Rs 26.5 lakh. Raja also owns a computer worth Rs 97,965.
There has been no addition to fixed assets like land and buildings in the last five years. But the value of these assets like agricultural land and houses in and around Trichy and Perambalur have gone up from Rs 45.98 lakh to 61.5 lakh.
As per income tax returns filed last year, he paid tax of Rs 8.09 lakh and his wife Parameswari paid Rs 5.24 lakh tax. His minor daughter is also an income tax assessee.